Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Winning NaNoWriMo



Another first for this Author! 

You all know how I love recording the 'firsts' that happen along this journey I am conquering. This one was a self imposed challenge. I had attempted NaNoWriMo in 2011 and totally crapped out. I deleted the story I was working on and can't even remember what it was about. In 2012 I got sick and ended up taking seven weeks instead of four weeks to complete Maverick Touch: The Cat. 

This year, come hell or high water I was determined to win, NaNoWriMo 2013! And win it I did!

This book took me on an emotional journey I didn't expect coming, not one bit. The entire time my 'Ashley' personality was fighting with my characters through the whole story. They didn't do but maybe 10% of the things I wanted done.

So now when it's all said and done, I'm glad that I listened to the characters and let them tell their own story. I am now completely psyched for Maverick Touch: #3 that I'll write during the next NaNoWriMo of 2014. It completely excites me to see an actual vision of this series. When I started it I had no idea how I would end up writing more books for the same characters that had story lines starting and stopping in one book. I also didn't see how I could use two main characters and find spin offs for them.

Thankfully my characters knew what needed to be done and they accomplished that. I think every time i start to write any story that is organic in nature I am always surprised by the ending and how I got from point A to point Z.

When I think about this journey I'm taking I look back on the course of my life and always come back to my Taekwondo training. Some of you might not understand that, and that's okay. But any one who studied Martial Arts, or another form of 'training' required constant practice of the same activity over and over will. The constant dedication, repetitive behavior, devotion to the craft. All of that has helped me through this struggle. Especially the perseverance.

So this is my ramble for the night. After 50,000 words, you'd think I'd be out of things to type but I guess I had one last bit left inside.

March 24, 2013 - Maverick Touch: The Highway will hit the stands!

No comments:

Post a Comment