Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Review: Live Long And ... by William Shatner


Title: Live Long And ... What I Learned Along The Way


Author: William Shatner

Source: Harris County Library

Purchase Here: AMAZON

BLURB:

"I have always felt," William Shatner says early in his newest memoir, that "like the great comedian George Burns, who lived to 100, I couldn’t die as long as I was booked." And Shatner is always booked.
Still, a brief health scare in 2016 forced him to take stock. After mulling over the lessons he's learned, the places he's been, and all the miracles and strange occurrences he's witnessed over the course of an enduring career in Hollywood and on the stage, he arrived at one simple rule for living a long and good life: don't die.
It's the only one-size-fits-all advice, Shatner argues in Live Long and..:What I Learned Along the Way, because everyone has a unique life―but, to help us all out, he's more than willing to share stories from his unique life. With a combination of pithy humor and thoughtful vulnerability, Shatner lays out his journey from childhood to peak stardom and all the bumps in the road. (Sometimes the literal road, as in the case of his 2,400-mile motorcycle trip across the country with a bike that didn't function.)
William Shatner is one of our most beloved entertainers, and he intends never to stop entertaining. His funny, provocative, and poignant reflections offer an unforgettable read about a remarkable man.


REVIEW:

I don't generally like non-fiction, specifically auto-biographical. But this book def broke that mold. There was SOOOO much in this book that I completely felt attached to, like he wrote it just for me to read and bond to. It was amazing.

It has been a LONG time since I have taken the time to write a review for a book. In fact I was thinking about all of the books I have read in 2018 and felt a little depressed that I didn't have that ONE book this year that truly knocked me off my feet. Thankfully I had the smart idea to check this book out from the library today. With only 12 days left in the year that is cutting it kinda short but this book, THIS BOOK, blew me away.

I listened to the audio version and Mr. Shatner is by far my favorite voice for audio. I don't know if it is because it took me back to my Star Trek world or watching him on other TV shows but his voice was extremely soothing.


What a fascinating mind Mr. Shatner clearly has and I certainly feel like not only could I take away stuff from this book but I truly feel like he taught me something. He taught me about just saying YES!

Do you say yes a lot? Or are you like me and always calculate risk and get wishy washy on decisions? I think I need to just say yes. 

My new favorite quote is from this book. "A life without passion is like a black and white movie, it lacks the potential richness." Have you heard any other quote that was better than this? Because it's so true!

Love love LOVE this book! 

I highlight recommend this book and just, have not read any other this year that blew me away like this. Go out and read it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment