Sunday, December 8, 2013

Sunday Review: Lion's Head Deception by Chuck Waldron

Title:  Lions Head Deception
 
Author: Chuck Waldron


Genre: Mystery, Thriller, Dystopian

Published: June 15, 2013

Source: I received a copy of this book from the Author for an honest review


Purchase: Amazon, Smashwords, Barnes & Noble
Blurb:
Matt Tremain is a shy, private person who discovers a passion for writing blogs—a mission that propels him into investigative reporting. A tipster warns him of a diabolical scheme Matt simply can’t ignore. After the tipster is killed, Matt honors his memory by going forward to investigate the truth behind the conspiracy. He meets a television reporter and a cameraman also investigating the intrigue. Are they potential partners or rivals? A detective offers his assistance, but Matt is unsure of his true motivation. He is equally unsure of the allegiance of those in the top administration of police services. Matt Tremain and his friends are forced to go on the run, evading the newly-formed security teams. They must expose the truth before they are discovered, arrested and perhaps exterminated themselves…

Lion’s Head Deception is set, amongst rioting and unrest in a destabilized city. 
Matt Tremain, an investigative blogger has been made aware of a sinister conspiracy to exterminate citizens who fail to meet the screening matrix designed by a billionaire and his corrupt government co-conspirators. A phone call sets Matt on the run, aware that he is being sought for his knowledge of the plan. In the secret hidey-hole office in his apartment’s basement he contacts the only people he knows he can trust, cyber-friends whom he’s never met.

Charles Claussen—the billionaire—is determined to see his plan CleanSweep become reality. Despite his successful and wealthy businessman persona, his true nature and diabolical intentions are revealed. 

At a remote lodge in Lion’s Head on the beautiful Bruce Peninsula in Ontario, CleanSweep’s founder, and those he needs to convince to play ball, meet. Claussen is the architect of the plan, but needs the financial and political backing of the three men he is meeting with. 

With the cooperation of these men, Claussen returns to his headquarters and puts the plans into operation Claussen and Angela Vaughn visit the militia camp where people are being trained for the riots that will soon destabilize the city. The rioting begins

Matt meets the whistle-blower Tanner, who originally sparked his interest in the CleanSweep plot. After a few drinks together, Tanner leaves and neither of them are aware that it might be their final meeting. 
After a CleanSweep raid of a newsroom, hard-nose reporter Susan Payne and her cameraman Carl manage to escape with footage that could easily cost them their lives. They have unknowingly scooped a story that has yet to be revealed, even to them, but they know they’ve hit on something, and hit a nerve. Hiding out in a seedy motel, they have a meeting with Matt, and the three begin to piece together the truth about CleanSweep, putting their initial differences behind them.
What finally happens will test the strength and courage of Matt Tremain and his friends.


Review:
One thing I feel is becoming a well known concept lately is the genre 'dystopian.' I am really enjoying this a lot because I love exploring the minds of other individuals to see what they can come up with. I can tell you that there are some very specific things I liked about this book, no, loved about it. First - I loved how it was a mixture of Hitler and Stallen brought back onto the pages of reality. I loved this whole, 'Clean Sweep'  that the government gave a blank check to basically with our (Americans) human rights. I loved that so much. When the parts about history repeating itself, but better came up that's what really sucked me into the book. Not that I'm supporting any of those crazy and barbaric ways, but the imagination and talent that goes into creating that kind of world and existence should be respected.

The downside about this book was it took me approx 120 pages to get 'sucked' into the world. It was a good third of the book. Typically if I'm not hooked by 20% into it I put the book down but something made me keep going. I am really glad that I did. It was so engaging and intriguing  once the hook was set. So if you are like me and need a quick hook, give this some patience. It was worth it to me.

I had wished the ending hadn't been so 'ready set go' feeling. The whole book had this huge bubble of expecting a complate and total shock and awe ending that when you hit page 290 and realize there are only about 30 pages left...it's going to end ... you get (or I got) rather sad. I wanted to see more of the ending. There was such great build up that I really thought the ending was going to blow me away.

One other thing I should note - I did not see a few of these twists and turns coming. One thing I hate is when you can predict everything and that was NOT the case in LHD. Not at all. 

Overall I'd say this book is a solid 3.5 stars. Had it hooked me a bit earlier it would have been an easy 4 stars. That being said - if there was a way for this book to have a sequel I'd deff read it because I liked the characters that much. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment