Sunday, October 5, 2014

Sunday Review: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon


Title: Dragonfly In Amber
Author: Diana Gabaldon
Source: Purchase from Amazon
Purchase: Amazon

Blurb

For twenty years Claire Randall has kept her secrets. But now she is returning with her grown daughter to Scotland's majestic mist-shrouded hills. Here Claire plans to reveal a truth as stunning as the events that gave it birth: about the mystery of an ancient circle of standing stones ...about a love that transcends the boundaries of time ...and about James Fraser, a Scottish warrior whose gallantry once drew a young Claire from the security of her century to the dangers of his ....

Now a legacy of blood and desire will test her beautiful copper-haired daughter, Brianna, as Claire's spellbinding journey of self-discovery continues in the intrigue-ridden Paris court of Charles Stuart ...in a race to thwart a doomed Highlands uprising ...and in a desperate fight to save both the child and the man she loves....

Review

I have a lot of feelings about this book ... Which makes writing a review a bit hard. I think I am going to do a pros and cons type post if nothing else to help flesh out my own thoughts.

The pros - things I like.
Ms. Gabaldon has a very well tuned writing structure. Her stories are easy to follow and her plots are very solid. The world and  cast of characters is very in depth and I love the fact that she includes so many different characters even in a first person setting.

I think that it is hard for an author to capture so many different characters at one time and I find her skill at that very impressive.

The cons - things I have issues with.

As great as her writing is, it is just too long. There are far to many details and I feel myself getting drown in the extremely long story. It felt like as much as I read it didn't matter, the book was going on forever and never going to end.

This is just too much for me and as such, I feel this is a 3 star book. I wish I could give it more.


No comments:

Post a Comment