Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Write What You Feel by Venus Cahill

 

I'd like to welcome Venus Cahill to my blog today. She is one of the Best Selling authors at XoXo Publishing and I'm honored that she has taking the time to stop by today. Everyone has a reason that the choose to write and today she shares a glimpse into her own psyche. Please help me in welcoming me to my blog and hopefully she will come back soon!


I'm a big believer in the old adage write what you know.

Or rather what I should say is write what you feel. I cannot talk for all writers but for me there is always a piece of myself in everything I write, the need to relate to one of my characters, which is why I prefer my heroines to be curvy girls. I hated the fact that all the girls and later the women who resembled me were either the best-friend, the third-wheel or the comedic relief. I didn't want to be the side-kick, I wanted to be me and get my sexy man.

Even as a child when I would spin tales of fairies and princesses they always looked like me, after all I couldn't rely on picture books or television where all of the pretty girls were always blond, thin and beautiful. I'm beautiful too so why can't I have my very own fairy tale?

Now don't get me wrong I still want the fantasy of the typical romance novel but I want to be able to close my eyes and easily picture myself in the heroine's shoes. Shoes in most cases I would not be caught dead in, really if you knew what a klutz I am you would understand the horror the thought of spiked high-heels instills in me.

Just because I write my women on the curvy side does not mean everything I write about is autobiographical. To my knowledge, I have never met a werewolf or a vampire; I have never had sex with a stranger in a darkened photography development lab and I've never murdered a co-worker. Yet every piece I write is a piece of me, full of my feelings and emotions, the imaginings of my soul.

I write because I have to, it is a something I have to do, something that makes me happy. It is my passion and in so doing I feel I must stay true to myself and that is why I write curvy women. I am a different kind of heroine and I chose to believe that there are others out there like me.

My name is Venus and I write stories where the curvy girl gets her man.
 



You can blame my parents for my love of reading and my personality! My first vivid memory is of my mother sitting me down on the potty with a book in my hands. Ever since then I will read anything available including extremely outdated magazines and shampoo bottles (rinse and repeat).

As far as my personality, when you are named for an amatory Roman Goddess you can’t help but start reading Harlequin novels when your classmates are still reading Judy Blume.

When I was a teen my father used to yell at me to get outside in the fresh air and I would have to sneak a book down my pant-leg, which was no easy task seeing as I was (and still am) a supreme klutz who trips over her own feet at least twice a day.

I usually have a minimum of four books on the go at the same time. I read fiction and non-fiction anything I can get my hands on; I love kilted hotties, demons with hearts of gold, and shape shifting Alpha males. My favorite heroines are curvy gals, after all I find them easy to relate to. However my favorites are happily-ever-after romances.



Cupcakes For My Birthday by Venus Cahill
$1.99
ISBN: 978-1-927027-53-0

Karen is a curvy girl who leads a rather staid life that is until she decides to get a tattoo on her birthday. Now she finds herself experiencing more excitement than she has ever had in her entire life. Hunter has been fantasizing about his new neighbour for months but he can’t tell if she’s just too shy or not interested. When she walks into his tattoo parlour he decides that it’s finally time to find out and to make his move. Can two people from different worlds come together and find true love?

Buy Link:
 http://www.amazon.com/Cupcakes-For-My-Birthday-ebook/dp/B005R1ET4K/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1364989949&sr=1-1&keywords=venus+cahill

2 comments:

  1. Great interview, Venus!
    I'm sure your coworkers will be relieved to know you've never murdered anyone in real life. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post! Ya know I get tired of always reading about 25 year old, perfect size sixes or eights and want to ready about women - big beautiful women (BBW) and the men they love. Thanks for writing about these kinds of heroines. Now, where can this curvy woman get her a man? *big wicked grin*

    ReplyDelete